Friday, June 24, 2011

Ode to “a bad run”


“Oh bad run, how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways…”

This story has been a long time coming, as it’s been rattling around in me head for a long time.  I think it was the fall of 2009 when we went on a training run one early morning in October with our running group along the Niagara Parkway. 
 
I had a really bad run.  It must have been exceptionally bad as I can still recall the struggle and its aftermath.  It started out slow and my shins were tight and achy.  Then it went downhill after that.  I could barely hobble with brutally painful, screaming shins on both sides; I was in agony.  I was beyond frustrated as we had also planned to run the Niagara Falls 10k race the following weekend. 

I remember finishing the run by walking the last 2 km and being so pissed off.  When I got back to the car, I took off my shoes and threw them in the trash can nearby and slumped into the driver’s seat and had a hissy-fit; pouting like a little school girl and saying to Nancy “that’s it!  I give up on this $@#%ing running crap!  What was I thinking, that I could actually be a runner?!”  Nancy starts her post run stretching and asks me if I’m going to stretch.  “What for?  It’s not like I actually ran or anything!” I reply.  Nancy doesn’t say anything, but just quietly takes my shoes out of the trash and puts them in the trunk of the car and continues her stretching.  I guess she already knew that within a couple of days, that I’d try running again and probably have a good run and be back to my usual happy, go lucky self.  Sure enough, that’s exactly what happened.  My next run was ok, and I’ve kept at it ever since. 

And that’s what I’ve come to learning during my few years of running.  (I’ve been running for about 3-4 years now).

Fact: you’re going to have some bad runs and you’ll want to throw it all away and quit. 

But it’s ok.  That’s all part of the game.  Just keep lacing up and get out there, because those great runs are just around the corner.  And when you nail a great run; there is no greater feeling in the world.  My friend Deb and I call them “Superman runs”; because you feel like Superman.  Strong, unbeatable, like you could run forever.  You’re invincible!  And the confidence that it brings is utterly amazing.  And not just in your running.  It spills out into all facets of your life.  Work, home, personal and everywhere else.  You want to stop strangers in the street and say “Hey, I had a GREAT run today!” 

And that’s the lure, right there.  That’s why we keep shuffling along.  That’s what makes the bad runs bearable, because you now know just how amazing it CAN be.

The other thing I’ve learned is that when you have a bad run, there is absolutely nothing that anyone else can say or do to make you feel better.  Nothing! 

Nancy has had her share of bad runs, and I’ve tried to cheer her up with compliments, saying “it’s ok, it’ll be better the next time out”, making her laugh will my silly antics, etc.  Nothing helps.  Your confidence is in the toilet.  The only way out is your next good run. 

So I think I’ve matured a fair bit as a runner over the years.  I’ve learned to deal with the bad runs, and not let them get me down.  They’re all part of the game.  It just means that you’ll appreciate your next good run all the more.  So thank you “bad runs”, because you make the good runs all the more sweeter.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment