Monday, August 8, 2011

Know when to fold ‘em

Saturday’s long run of 26k was a bust for me, but I’m not upset about it.  Yeah for me! 

In the past, I’d be in a gloomy and “woe is me” funk for a while, thinking about “throwing in the towel” if a run didn’t go well, especially when training for an upcoming event.  This time however, I’m able to brush it off and say “that was just a miss.”  In fact, this was the first time I bailed and didn’t complete the scheduled run.

It all started out ok, we began at 6am to try to beat the heat, but there was no beating the brutal humidity that day.  My back was a bit achy to start and I had a few nights crappy sleep in a row which also doesn’t help either.  Despite having all these points working against me, I’m not one to let them stand in my way.  I usually just muster through it all and everything works out. 

The first hour of our run we were on our own before meeting up with the group at 7am.  Usually it’s a bit cooler at this time and the long early morning shadows help with the heat as well.  Not this day.  After meeting up with the group we were already feeling quite spent.

Things were going ok, but my calves were a bit crampy at about 12k so I took in as much salt as possible and stretched for a bit.  I even managed to snag an additional salt tab from Chris (our beloved water station on wheels guy) and pushed it out to 16k before the wheels fell off the wagon. 

Looking back on it now, this was probably a mistake.  I should have listened to the signs and turned back much earlier and just done a timed run and called it a day.  That would have been the smart thing to do.  But alas I’m of the mindset that “I planned to run 26k, and that’s what is going to happen dammit!” 

From 16k onward I walked a lot and drank copiously to keep cool.  I knew right then that I was done and would struggle to make it back and so I kept a lookout for someone from the group in a car to catch a ride back.  So, I did the walk/run thing (a lot more walk than run) and found Benny at the 5k mark.  I sat down to get off my aching feet for a while and chatted with Benny, drank more water, had some ediscs (electrolyte replacement discs), filled all my water bottles and thought “ok, now that I’ve rested a bit, I can manage that last 5k.”  More walk/run thing, again more walking than running.  Chris came by in his car at about the 2.5k mark and asked if I wanted a ride.  I think I jumped in the car before he even came to a complete stop and thanked him profusely. 

So I didn’t complete 26k.  No big deal.  I managed about 23k, with the last 8k or so walking more than running. 

My back was really achy sore now but the ice bath and regular doses of ibuprofen all day seemed to help somewhat. It’s still fairly tight today. 

I’m not sure if it was the sore back, lack of sleep, heat & humidity that did me in, or maybe it “just wasn’t my day.”  Apparently a lot of runners struggled that day and had to bail. 

But I’m not worried, as there are still plenty of looong runs to go in our training.  I still have plenty of time to prove to myself that I can go the distance.  I just pray that the heat & humidity are gone by then. 

This week we have lined up 2 x 40 min runs and 10k on Sunday (we’re leaving for vacation Saturday).  Massage time with Ali (my favourite torture artist) on Tuesday.  Whew, this easy week came at just the right time.

Whoa, you wouldn't believe what's chaffed on me now...well Phil would.  You mean I have to put body glide there now too?

1 comment:

  1. 'But alas I’m of the mindset that “I planned to run 26k, and that’s what is going to happen dammit!” '

    Ah, the old Van Helvert 'this is what I planned in my head so that's what's going to happen.' I can understand that the humidity was a killer for running this past past Sat. It was the first time I had to back off on cardio biking because my lungs were just burning.

    ReplyDelete