Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Reinventing myself

Last weekend’s long run went considerably better than previous long runs.  I slowed down and ran with the gals (Nancy & Christina) and I felt way better and stronger all the way up to the 25k mark.  Then the sun came out and cooked me and I was done, but managed to walk/run to 27km.  But it bolstered my confidence in my ability to successfully complete these long runs.   

Recently I had Nancy shave me head; a #2 all around.  I also shaved off the beard, but am growing it back due to request by Nancy.  I feel all nice and sleek now, and it’s much cooler.  I should have done this back in the brutally hot & humid days of July.

I also bought a new running hat.  Dutch Orange as I like to call it.  A big change from the red hats I’ve always been wearing when I run.  I also picked up some equally Dutch Orange shoe laces just for fun (and because they only cost $1.99) to match the orange splashes of colour on my next pair of shoes.  My next pair of shoes are also a change as the last 4 or so pairs of shoes were the same blue colour, same make and model.  My current shoes have reached their life span of 500km, so I need to break in the new shoes now.

And last night after our usual Tuesday run, I decided to get a new water belt.  My current one (the only water belt I’ve ever used) was driving me crazy.  It’s started to fall a part a bit, plus the 3rd water bottle sits at the very back and causes some really good chaffing on my back  as it bobs up and down a lot, so I almost never use this 3rd water bottle.  The wee pocket on the belt is so small it’s useless so I have an additional add-on pocket thing, which isn’t the greatest either.

The new belt has 4 water bottles equally distributed around the belt (2 in front, 2 in back) so it shouldn’t cause any chaffing or bobbing issues.  Plus there is a big pocket thing on the back and a decent size pocket in front. 

It’s amazing just the amount of “stuff” you end up carrying while running these longer distances.  I eat about 7 dates at each 7k mark, so that’s 35 dates I’ll need to carry for a full marathon.  I also like to carry salt packets to replenish electrolytes while on the run.  1 taken at each 7k mark, so I need about 5 of them.  Add in some extra eload powder to replenish what’s consumed in the water bottles, plus a cliff bar and/or a gel or two.  Nancy carries her cell phone, work pager, kleenex, eload discs, bars, gels, and other stuff.  Sandra is great to run with as she carries a small pharmacy with her wherever she goes.  Whatever might ail you on the run, Sandra probably has something that will help.    

Now I’m thinking; “maybe I can carry along a spare pair of legs, so when these legs get tired I can just swap them out like tires on a race car” – wouldn’t that be great?

All this got me to thinking last night; I seem to be reinventing my running persona.  Not sure if this is all accidental, coincidental, a subconscious or perhaps a totally conscious decision.   

Who knows, maybe with all these changes it’ll somehow help with my battle in completing these exceeding longer runs and on race day.  One can only hope!

1 comment:

  1. If bright orange laces don't help on race day, I don't know what will. Good job on the shaved head too - I've been tempted to do the same thing during many a long run.

    As for how much stuff one can cram into a water belt - I've got the market cornered on that one - at least when it comes to carbs. I could save the lives of several diabetics with the stash I carry. Crazy the things we do eh?

    ReplyDelete